Tuesday, November 18, 2008

That reminds me ... favorite Christmas traditions

Since we were talking a bit about Christmas traditions last night, and Sarah's link to a simplifying website ... all made me think of what things I enjoy most about Christmas, and wonder about you guys. And if you like, the ones you don't like (and maybe think about doing away with them??)

For me:
-decorating the tree - this is a major highlight - I know where every ornament came from, and many are from friends - so I think of that person every time I put their ornament on the tree.

-seeing the kids' excitement over Christmas - any of it - the decorating, the baking (when we do it), the giftmaking, gift planning, etc., and of course the gift opening.

-giving, especially when I managed to find/make something just right.

-and I love the post-Christmas down time. When I worked, I always had time off around Christmas (university closure), and Craig has since booked his major vacation time around Christmas. So, it's our family & friend time.

-shortbread. If there really is a god, he probably invented shortbread.

What I don't like:
-actually, I don't really like Christmas dinner. It's a formality that I could happily do away with. Even when I don't make it. Addendum: don't get me wrong ... I like turkey dinner - just on Christmas, I'd be just as happy to keep sitting around playing & order a pizza or something.

-packing stuff back up afterward - the tree, decorations, etc

-buying or making those few gifts that aren't "inspired" - just obligatory

1 comment:

April said...

Well I'm technically at work, but feeling the need to jot a few things down about favorite Christmas traditions/things.

My favorites:
-For years and years (even as young adults) my sister and I would wake up to open our stockings and then sleep by the Christmas Tree with only the Christmas tree lights on until mom and dad woke up to open presents. ♥ that.
-Definitely decorating the tree, but I miss having my mom and sister to do it with as Alf isn't a big fan.
-The big Hamilton gathering. I have yet to miss seeing my extended family on Christmas Day. (this may change this year...). They are all so special to me, and we have the silly xmas cracker tradition and everyone wears their hats, we sing, we play board games. Just special times.
-My beautiful nativity scene that mom and dad gave us our first christmas together.
-Christmas oranges
-Christmas Eve service at church, it is just such a peaceful way to either start or end the night.
-I like wrapping gifts with brown paper and pretty ribbons.
-finding items for family stockings and stuffing them.

Not so favorite:
-Ditto on the packing and putting away...usually doesn't happen until much much later as in March.
-Retail madness
-obligatory gifts or feelings from others that they "should have" given if I did.
-that Alf hardly gets any time off at Christmas, so we go to many functions and gatherings alone. :-(